At Restoration Urban Ministries, residents are taught.
- Restoration works individually with each resident to design a holistic program to train and support substance-free lifestyles.
- Residents are required to take 13 weeks (195 hours) of classroom instruction covering self sufficiency, job skills, financial management and literacy, budgeting, life-coping skills, discipleship, word power, food preparation and nutrition, job training, and freedom from smoking.
- Residents are also required to undertake spiritual counseling, an employment assessment, and any recovery classes necessary.
- Every participant is matched with a case manager who helps him/her deal with problems and achieve weekly goals.
- Residents without a high school diploma must pursue their General Equivalency Diploma (GED). GED classes are offered through co-operation with Parkland College..
- Residents must complete mandatory work hours on property. These tasks often consist of skills that are valued in the workplace.